Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dragon Steps, The Fun of Grouping!

Ah, grouping. I used to hate you so very much.

These are a life saver, and can provide some tasty movements if done right. What originally bothered me about grouped flash animations were the robotic and squared off chunkiness of the joints I would see in what I guess were poorly designed figures. As I get further into this animation, my comfort with it increases and I figure more ways to shortcut things without loss of quality. In this screenshot you will see a familiar character from an even more familiar cartoon....



Notice the bits and pieces used to create his body. Every piece is editable within themselves and the joints are represented by the little dots I've dragged here. When I rotate each piece, they rotate around said dot, keeping things moving in as natural a way as possible. when things look a bit too weird when rotated a certain degree, I redraw them.


Spike's a very enjoyable character, and in the MLP series he needs so much more love than he's given. His bouncy steps and helpful abilities are always a lot of fun to watch, and in this animation both will be explored. My friend will be providing the voice for spike, and I've almost completed the main, loopable animations leading up to the voices. Cannot wait for the lip syncing! Here are his current walk animations from the side and front... Also included is the updated walk animation for the donkey. He now has his cutie mark (oh god, did i just say cutie?) and an eyebrow.


And front side.

Stay tuned for more!

1 comment:

  1. Spikes leg and tail movements are amazing!
    He still looks a bit robotic though in the higher animation clip. I think it is because of his un-changing head (minus his ear flap fin things
    It does, however, not show as much in the lower clip and looks a lot better in that aspect.

    I'm excited to see more!

    ReplyDelete